Colon Hydrotherapy is a safe and gentle, warm internal bath using filtered, purified water that gently assists in eliminating stored fecal matter, gas, mucus and toxic substances from the colon. Colon Hydrotherapy is also known as Colonics, Colon Irrigation, and Colon Therapy.
Colon Hydrotherapy has been used for centuries and can be dated back as far as the 14th century B.C. The ancient Egyptian medical document known as the Eber Papyrus shows that the procedure of colon cleansing was used in the treatment of no less than twenty different stomach aliments and intestinal complaints. In the early 1900’s, John H. Kellogg, M.D., the lead physician at the Battle Creek Sanitarium for health and founder of Kellogg Cereals, used colon therapy on over forty thousand patients. Kellogg was an early advocate of exercise and “biologic living” to avoid surgery for gastrointestinal disease. Dr. Kellogg published an article in the Journal of the American Medical Association praising colon therapy’s efficacy in saving dysfunctional bowels and restoring optimal health.
Until the 1920’s, it was standard practice for medical doctors to have Colon Hydrotherapy equipment in their offices. After the 1920’s, pharmaceutical treatments increased, and in-office Colon Therapy became less widely used. A recent revival in recognizing the advantages of natural methods for healing the colon has caused a renewed interest in Colon Hydrotherapy. Technology and practitioners are meeting that interest with modernized equipment and comfortable procedures. Now surgeons and medical physicians endorse the practice of Colon Hydrotherapy as a significant complimentary and primary treatment for conditions affecting the health of patients.
Your Colon, Your Health
The colon (large intestine) is approximately five feet long and two and a half inches in diameter, but it is capable of stretching to five times its size. This hollow, tube-like organ is muscular and moves material through it by a process known as peristalsis. The major functions of the colon are final food digestion, absorption of water and nutrients, elimination of digestive residue, and discharge of toxins and waste from the body. When the colon becomes compromised due to diet, environment, stress, and other factors, it accumulates and stores unhealthy residue and toxins—disabling the body’s natural systems of elimination, purification and nutrient absorption.
Bacteria thrive in the colon. Balanced diets free of refined and processed food keep the bacteria in an optimal balance and allow the breakdown of waste and absorption of nutrients. When diet and lifestyle change, bad bacteria and yeast overcome the good flora growth and produce toxins. Toxins build up in the colon, and the body’s natural defense is mucous. Layering begins and can eventually compromise the colon. Toxins break down the protective lining of the colon and are transported by the blood to the liver, kidneys and lymphatic system for further filtering—overburdening the body’s organs.
Colon Hydrotherapy Treatment Session Benefits:
- Eliminates impacted layers of bacteria, toxins, mucous and residuesTreatments promote healthy colon surface cells and lining. This allows nutrients to pass into the bloodstream, and hormones and lubricants to be secreted normally. Treatments also help prevent toxin absorption from impacted fecal matter.
- Improves peristaltic (muscular contraction) activityColon Hydrotherapy provides therapeutic improvement of proper muscle tone, which allows a healthy colon’s muscular contractions to move food through the intestinal tract, thereby maximizing absorption of nutrients and promoting regular evacuation.
- Reduces stagnationTreatments allow the proliferation of healthy bacteria and micro flora. This aids digestion, promotes the manufacture of vital nutrients, maintains a proper pH (acid-base balance), and keeps harmful bacteria in check.
- Reshapes and tones the colonThe shape of the problematic colon can become very distorted. A series of treatments helps eliminate protruding pockets and spastic constrictions, gradually allowing the colon to resume its natural shape and function.
- Removes undigested food particles and promotes regular bowel movements to prevent buildup of toxins, excessive fermentation and putrefaction
The process of digestion (ingestion to defecation) normally takes between twelve and twenty-four hours, assuming that the colon is fully functional.Irregular and infrequent bowel movements allow undigested foods to remain in the colon, causing fermentation and buildup of toxic residue. Treatments remove these food particles, promoting colon health and normal function.
- Removes parasitesIntestinal parasites are (usually) microscopic organisms that draw energy and food from their hosts. It is estimated that 200 million people are infected by intestinal parasites. Byproducts of parasites can be toxic to the body, and this overload of toxins challenges the immune system if left untreated. Parasites can live for many years undetected. Examples of parasites are tapeworms, whiteworms, redworms, inchworms, blackworms, pinworms, little fish, threadworms, fuzzballs, spiderworms, and stickpin worms. Colon Hydrotherapy sessions support the body’s immune system by flushing out parasites.
Colon Hydrotherapy is not a cure-all, but it can be a valuable treatment for a wide variety of different conditions. A toxic bowel is the source of many health problems including the following:
Contraindications are health-related conditions that make it inadvisable to use a particular therapy. If you have certain conditions (see list below), we may not be able to treat you with colon hydrotherapy unless you have a written referral from your doctor. Please call us to discuss your situation. We will do what we can to help you.
The following are contraindications for colon hydrotherapy:
Colon Hydrotherapy Sessions
On your first visit to Gentle Waters Healing Center, a registered Colon Hydrotherapist will take your health history, explain the therapy procedure, and answer any questions you may have.
Colon Hydrotherapy is clean and relaxing. It involves the gentle infusion of warm filtered water into the rectum. No chemicals or drugs are used. During a session, clients lie comfortably on a custom-designed treatment table. Clients need undress only from the waist down, and they remain covered throughout the procedure: modesty is given top priority. Clients gently and easily insert the LIBBE rectal tube themselves, in privacy. The LIBBE rectal tube is the size of a pencil, sterile, and used only once.
Once the client is ready, the Colon Hydrotherapist reenters the treatment room and begins the irrigation procedure. A soothing flow of warm water is gently introduced into the colon through the LIBBE rectal tube. The water temperature and flow is always under the direct control of the Colon Hydrotherapist. The water flows into the colon and the client evacuates the impacted feces and mucous when they feel the urge. As the water flows out of the colon, the Colon Hydrotherapist is available to gently massage the abdomen to help the colon release its contents.
Colon therapy cleanses the entire colon with minimal stress. Waste material is eliminated through specialized equipment to a drain line, thereby avoiding any offensive odor and maintaining the dignity of the individual. What is eliminated is visible through a sealed, clear viewing tube. Clients may see mucous, parasites, undigested food, and very old fecal material resembling vulcanized rubber. A rinsing sprayer is available for clients to use at the end of their sessions. Following a session, many individuals report a feeling of heightened energy, an increased sense of well-being and renewed vitality.
As you plan your time at Gentle Waters, be aware that the actual Colon Hydrotherapy session lasts approximately 45 minutes, but you’ll need to allow at least one hour per visit. We also recommend an initial series of at least six separate therapy sessions to achieve maximum cleansing benefits. Successive initial treatments help clients who have never received regular hydrotherapy evacuate fecal matter that may have been lodged in their colons for weeks, months, or even years. Beginning with successive treatments also helps keep clients well-hydrated as their colons regain optimal health. Throughout your visits to Gentle Waters, a Colon Hydrotherapist will monitor your individual progress and assist you in planning a maintenance program that is right for you.